Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Sofa hell and solicitor heaven.

I've been at my new place for 8 weeks now. Paid deposit in cash, paid first months rent by cheque.
The young lady with whom I had thought I was going to live has been forced to leave by the man whom I thought was moving out- and as soon as she left all hell broke loose. I provided a large squishy sofa and he demanded that I move it out immediately becasue he didn't like the pattern despite sanctioning its arrival and when I revealed I've nowhere else to put it (other than freecycle it, which I don't want to do) he flew into a temper and insisted that one of us leave.

I'm extremely grateful for such lovely friends. A handwritten note was produced 4 days ago, asking me to quit the property 7 days after the sofa argument and a similar argument in which he stated and remained completely convinced that the window which I had left open an inch with keys (not door keys) dangling from the handle was the sole cause of a person arriving late at might to enquire after a woman who used to live in the house. He thought the person was a burglar but somehow neglected to call the police.

Its revealed that the other housemate he forced to leave was his wife. Its revealed by her that he behaved in an ungentlemanly way towards her in the past. I can't put more in my blog because its public. Solicitors letters have been provided by kind solicitor friend from a very good property law firm and a queue of people who want to help me is forming rapidly.
The upshot of all this is that I'm being illegally evicted and will lose my home, however. But I hope the gentleman involved will learn that he cannot be a selfish bully, or act unlawfully, without consequences. on top of all this, the bank have messed up my rent payment which makes me look like some kind of freeloading lowlife which I'm not. Stress all round!

I need to remember to breathe. next time I blog, like this lovely lady, I'll be giving something good away to one of my readers... I know you're out there....

4 comments:

Sweet Camden Lass said...

Out of that flatshare is probably better, but, oh! Why do people have to be so horrible? ~x~

purplefiona said...

I think its because they have problems of a depth beyond mere mortals such as you and I. I've always thought there is a reasonable person inside most people, but sometimes thats just not true, and more often still, the problem is that some people have learnt over the years ingrained patterns of unpleasant antisocial behaviour that none but the best doctors can ever hope to touch on the reasons for, let alone relieve. Its very sad.

Stray said...

Oh no! Come and squirrel in our wood shed ... it would surely be more comfortable than most London flat shares...?

Eek. Double eek. Poor you - it's horrible not having a safe place to go to.

I used to know some large, scary people who had a range of creative solutions for this sort of situation. Shall I ring them?

Wishing you more purpleness, Sx

purplefiona said...

Thanks Stray! I too, admit to knowing of such people who are, in fact, forming a queue. However, the best punishment of all for him is to have to be himself for the rest of his life, and he's doing that already. But thanks anyway! I'm out now- will be posting pic of all my wordly belongings piled up in storage asap. Its all been one massive headache.