Sunday, January 24, 2010

telephonic joy and sadness in rice


Last week I returned a phone that I had found on the ground to its grateful owner. She is from Taiwan and she gave me these gorgeous little biscuits with my name in Kanji on them. She told me I was a wonderful person. I always think that any person would try to return a 'phone that they found, but obviously the real world doesn't work like that. It was a charming little ivory and gold Sony Ericsson phone and I searched her texts to find numbers of friends who may know her, tracked down her lecturer and found out her email address. I felt very nosey! Yesterday I put my (purple) mobile through the washing machine by mistake. Its sad little wet oblong face is blank and black. Placing it in a bowl of raw rice (thanks Google) for 12 hours at first appeared to partially revive it but it is now once more defunct. I'm lucky to have isync and a memory card so I've lost no data but it feels, in a small way, as if I've lost a friend, and found one. To have been able to give the gift of someone's phone back with all its precious pictures, numbers and messages from family is of far more value than losing my own phone which is just a lump of purple plastic/metal without its data. The biscuits are probably made of rice, too. Isn't it strange how the funniest things are linked. As luck would have it I'm due an upgrade so It'll be hello HTC Hero. I wonder if I can write applications for it in Python? hmmmmm

2 comments:

REMEDY said...

you did the right thing man..nice to know and visit your blog...keep it up...come blog walking..

Donna1264 said...

How sad you lost your little purple phone. I can relate to losing something with your entire life on it. I too lost (stolen out of my front yard, actually) was my purple LG Scoop. For months I went without it and was disgusted with whomever had picked it up and walked away with it. Fortunately I had a backup phone I could use, but it was never the same. It's wonderful to find honest people in today's society. I'm sure the lady could have cared less how you tracked her down and much more appreciative that you actually took the time to care. You have restored my faith in humanity. Thank you.